How to Obtain a Lost Title in Missouri

How to Get a Duplicate Car Title in the Same Day in Missouri

If it’s an emergency, you can always request a duplicate copy of your vehicle’s registration by applying at the nearest Department of Revenue (DOR).

The DOR does not take appointments, so be prepared for potentially long wait times.

To apply, you’ll need to fill out Form 108 (Application for Missouri Title and License), which you can request at your nearest DOR service office or print off at home. When you fill out the form, be sure to:

  • Note that you are requesting a DUPLICATE copy at the top of the application.
  • Include a Missouri address on the form
  • Give an explanation why you need a duplicate car title at the bottom of the application
  • Notarize and sign the application form

Additionally, you should prepare the following documents to help ease the application process:

  • A form of government-issued photo ID to verify your identity
  • The damaged original title if you are attempting to renew a mutilated copy
  • Your license plate number
  • Information about your vehicle, including the make and model number
  • Any details about a lien, as well as a letter of authorization from the lienholder or a Form 4809 (Lien Release) if the lien has been removed

When you submit your application, be prepared to pay $14.50 to cover the cost of a duplicate title and the processing fee.

Once the Department of Revenue has confirmed your identity, they will issue your certified duplicate.

Read also: Can You Get A Duplicate Car Title The Same Day In Texas (Lost Vehicle Title!)



Welcome to We are an Informative website dedicated to helping customers solve their consumer-related questions from a wide range of services, products, finance, and industries …for more please view “the team”.

When do you need a replacement title?

If you lose your car’s title or it’s been damaged or stolen, you must apply for a replacement. If you don’t, your vehicle will not be legal to operate in Missouri, or you will be unable to complete the sale of your vehicle to another party.Other reasons you will need a replacement title include:
  • Your title has been stolen

  • The text on your title is illegible

  • Information on your title needs to be altered

  • You never received a title

Remember, each vehicle can only have one title. Before applying for a replacement title, you need to confirm that the original title was lost or damaged.

Transferring the Title of an Inherited Vehicle in MO

If you inherit a vehicle, and a beneficiary is not designated, you need to submit the following documentation and payment at your local MO licensing office:

  • Completed Application for Missouri Title and License (Form DOR-108)
  • The vehicle title in the deceased individual’s name signed over to you by the administrator or executor of the estate (if the vehicle’s title is destroyed or missing, the administrator or executor is required to apply for a duplicate vehicle title in the name of the estate
  • Original or certified copies of the following:
    • Letters of Administration Letters Testamentary or Small Estate Certificate/Affidavit
  • Payment for all applicable vehicle title, registration, taxes, and processing fees. (if the deceased individual paid all the taxes on the vehicle, the executor of the will is allowed to gift the vehicle to someone, so the beneficiary will not owe any taxes)

If you choose to mail in the application, you can send the vehicle title paperwork by mail to the following address:

Missouri Department of RevenueMotor Vehicle Bureau301 West High Street P.O. Box 100Jefferson City, MO 65105

Transferring a Vehicle Title As a New Resident of Missouri

As a new resident of Missouri, you are required to register and title your vehicle(s) within 30 days of establishing residency in the state. You need to visit your local MO license office and provide:

  • The vehicle’s out-of-state title (if a lien holder currently holds your vehicle title, you are required to submit your out-of-state vehicle registration)
  • A completed Application for Missouri Title and License (Form DOR-108) You need to check the “new plates” box if you are registering your vehicle at the time you title your vehicle. If you choose not to register your vehicle immediately, check the “title only” box.
  • Proof of a valid MO vehicle insurance policy
  • Statement of Non-Assessment from the assessor’s office where you live or are moving to. (This form certifies that you don’t owe personal property taxes for the previous year)
  • Proof of a vehicle identification number (VIN) and odometer inspection from an authorized inspection station
  • Proof of a safety and/or emissions inspection from an authorized inspection station, if required
  • Payment for all applicable vehicle titling fees and taxes

If needed, you can obtain a temporary permit to operate your vehicle without its plates in order to get it titled in the state of Missouri.

Who Pays the Appraisal Fee?

The buyer is usually responsible for paying for appraisal, but there are some rare situations when the seller might be responsible. Read this article to learn who pays the appraisal fee.

Rochelle Miller-Hernandez

Dec 15, 2021

By mail

  • Should you choose to mail your application, just follow all of the steps from above, and then send the materials you have filled out and check to:

Motor Vehicle Bureau 301 West High Street Room 370 P.O. Box 100 Jefferson City, MO 65105

You can find more information about replacing a lost or stolen car title in Missouri by visiting the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles site.

How to Fill out the Duplicate Car Title Application in Missouri

Prior to delivering your request form for a Missouri lost vehicle title copy, you should check the accuracy and completeness of the entered information since incorrect and incomplete requests will be rejected. Also, if you attempt to replace a vehicle title in person or by mail with an application that contains false statements, then you may be penalized with a fine and/or jail sentence. To successfully request a replacement car title in MO with the DOR-108 form, the following types of information must generally be included:

  • The owner’s information, such as full name, address and contact information
  • Details about the vehicle in question, such as the vehicle identification number, year, make, color and body style
  • Data about the lien if applicable
  • Information, signature and seal of the notary public and the reason for requesting a duplicate title
  • The owner’s signature and date of signature

Note: Since the DOR-108 form is used for general titling purposes, you will not be required to fill out every field on the title application form.

What You’ll Do to Replace your Vehicle Title in Missouri

If you pay by check please make sure to include your name, address, date of birth, daytime phone number, social security number and driver’s license.

Motor Vehicle Bureau

301 West High Street Room 370

P.O. Box 100 Jefferson City, MO 65105

Documents Required When Applying for a Missouri Car Title Copy

To successfully apply for a Missouri lost vehicle title copy, applicants will have to meet several requirements, such as submitting certain documents and paying the applicable fees. The documentation and requirements for replacing a lost or damaged car title generally include a properly filled out replacement title application form and lien release document. Note that the lien release form is only needed in the event that the applicant has obtained the vehicle with the help of a lien and has paid off the loan.

When requesting a replacement car title in MO in person at a title office, drivers may also be required to submit an official form of identification such as a driving license. To learn about the specific documentation requirements for replacing a lost or damaged car title in MO that apply to your case, contact the department.

What it Means to be Bonded

When you get a bonded title, you are promising that you are the true owner of the vehicle, and that you will take responsibility for any bond claims.

If someone comes forward later on and says that they are the owner of the vehicle and that you should not have been granted a bonded title, they can make a claim on your bond.

If the claim is determined to be valid, you would be responsible for satisfying the claim. Usually, this would mean a financial compensation. The surety company would determine what is fair.

If you fail to satisfy the claim, the surety company would satisfy the claim for you. Then, they would come to you for reimbursement. Essentially, the bond holds you liable for your actions, no matter what.

Want more information about what happens if someone made a claim on your bond? Check out this resource.



Application for Missouri Title and License Missouri DOR's application for an original title AND/OR registration, duplicate title, registration renewal, OR transfer of license plates. Get Form Open the form


Notice of Lien, Lien Release, or Authorization to ADD/Remove Name from Title Form Notify the Missouri DOR of a change (addition or removal) of a lien on your vehicle title. Must be notarized AND completed by the lienholder. Get Form Open the form

This form is provided by your state’s agency/department. Please select one of the below to continue: Email the link to this form